Re: (ET) how does the late model I5 speed control work?

On 9/5/2012 9:46 PM, Clean Power Supply wrote:
  The E15's pulley is the smaller one at 3" while the E20 uses the bigger
4" pulley. Consequently, the ground speed of the E20 is higher. Double check
your sizing to be sure someone didn't swap them.
  If your E20 is drawing more current in reverse it is probably because
the contacts in the F and R contactors are on the way out.
  Internal construction of the E15 motor is almost identical to that of
the E20. And while I didn't try to figure out the extra windings in those
motors, keep in mind that it is in series with the armature and therefore
on the E20 when the armature current is reversed to achieve reverse
rotation the polarity of the extra windings reverses as well so any
differences should be minimal.

Right, but on the E20 the main field does not change polarity from F to R. Thus the series field works against the main field, resulting in weird field weakening and a slightly faster run even at idle. My FR contactors are in pretty good shape.

I'll check on my E15, but it feels a bit faster at full sped than the E20 in same gear/full field and armature. Also much more jerky off the start. I'll also see if the motor RPMs are different between the two.

> What I do know for sure is that the new D&D motor stands head and
> shoulders above the original in terms of raw power. Right, Mark? :-)

Haven't heard about a new motor, neat! I like the E20 myself, it's really pretty nice.