Re: (ET) Curtis or any generic controller setup - Finally.

> There are a couple of issues when using a "regular" controller (ie meant
> for a series wound motor) with an ET that has a sep-ex motor. One is that
> you need to make sure the field has power before turning on the armature
> power. It sounds like you have done this.

Yes covered -

> Another is to make sure the armature is off before changing direction.
> With a simple switch to reverse the field, it would be easy to be hauling
> along with high current in the armature and then hit the reverse switch so
> the motor will then try and change direction rather dramatically. A 300
> amp controller might limit the current enough to avoid breaking stuff or
> doing wheelies, but can't be sure. As in could get scary or dangerous.
> Without a schematic I can't be sure, but don't think you have this
> covered. (please do send the wiring diagram to my e-mail above)

The DPDT switch is center off.

Forward - field on - relay 1 opens - controller turns on - armature powered.
Center - field off - relays off - controller off - armature off
Reverse - field on and reversed - relay 2 opens - controller turns on - armature powered.

Also "high pedal disable" on the controller makes that scenario impossible. When changing from forward to reverse the controller turns off then on. If it senses anything from the POT it will not energize the armature. You must turn the POT back to zero before you can proceed.

> Is your goal really an "easy" controller set-up, or "inexpensive"? If easy
> is the ultimate goal, you may find it hard to beat a controller build for
> sep-ex motors (be it Alltrax, Curtis or another manufacturer). Then you
> just connect the two field wires to the controller terminals. It takes
> care of ramping the armature current up and down when changing direction.
> It does the housekeeping for making sure the field is always energized
> first.

The goal was safety, universality, simplicity, cost. I recd many different designs and looked them all over carefully. Most were just conceptual. Nothing solid saying do XY and Z. And the ones that did were above the average joes ability to create. That is what i wanted to do. Take the mystery out of it and help some people bring back some tractors from the dead. If my curtis blows up tomorrow i can replace it with a kelly, or 4qd, or alltrax. Well actually it came with a two year warranty so i would probably get it fixed.

If i ever used field weakening then i might have gone the sep-ex route. But i don't and wonder how many people do? Not supposed to use it while doing heavy work right? That in itself is a whole other ball of wax that has been beaten to death. What i plan on doing is adding a simple "turbo" mode by wiring a resistor into the field that i can turn on when i want to zip across my yard.

I understand that you sell the Alltrax. I understand it was purposely designed for the ET. Will probably buy one off you for my E15. I will be the first one to tell people that if you want a brand new controller designed for the ET that is supported by the manufacturer please call Jim. I just wanted to do this because some people said it would not work and others said it should but did not know how. I had fun and that's what this hobby is all about.