Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 15:23:18 -0400
From: bhaines nycap rr com
To: roberttroll hotmail com
CC: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Question for Controller owners

5 amp fuse...the next question where to find a 5 amp fuse for 36V.  You can find millions of 5A fuses for 12V, but a 36V one is going to be hard to come by.  Trial and error with varying 12V fuses might work...but it's going to be a real pain trying to get that to work.    If the fuse is hooked to the field, and it goes over 5A, then the fuse blows.......how is that going to turn off a relay or contactor?  If you ran the field though a relay or contator coil...well, you're asking for trouble.  Now you have the drive motor field and coil field that you need to think about...some coils don't like sharing power with other things.

Personally I would not put a fuse on the field.  A small SepEx controller would be the best option, but barring that I would hook a relay going  to the field to the micro switch on the PB6.  (If you are using a foot pedal)  When you touch the pedal the field comes on long before the armature gets power...unless you stomp on the pedal.  So power (+) goes to the microswitch, to the + on the field relay coil, to "-".  (Although I can't recall if there are 3 pins on the microswitch or 2)