Re: (ET) Question for the EE types

On 6/24/2012 10:18 PM, Rob Brockway wrote:
I put an extra heavy capacity rheostat in my e12 m (with an e-20
driveline).  I also put a latching relay circuit in.  Every time I want
field weakening I push a button and adjust the rheostat to the speed I
want with my eye on the power meter.  Every time I put the control in off
or reverse in un latches the relay.  This way I don't forget end leave it
on.  Before I put a Curtis speed control I did not allow weakening until
the voltage to the armature was close to 36 volts.  I have used this set
up for about 10 years.

It works well for finding a good speed at the right power level and using
regen going down hill.  You don't get a free lunch however.  At reduced
field you get less torque and the max starting torque is very reduced.

Sounds a bit like the classic cruise control button on an E20, which is nice due to the pedal. However on the E20 I find that throttle control is much easier and more intuitive with the foot pedal than the lever on the E15.