Re: (ET) I-5 foot pedal .vs. cruise control

You could check your local farm or hardware store for replacement springs that are less stiff.  Farm supply stores like tractor supply and atwoods seem to have stuff like that in abundance.

David Brandt

From: Charlie <medievalist gmail com>
To: Elec-Trak <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:28 PM
Subject: (ET) I-5 foot pedal .vs. cruise control

It was mentioned here a couple of weeks ago that the OEM cruise
control doesn't provide the top "field weakening" speeds, and that
seems to be true with my I-5.  It actually slows down when I put the
cruise on.

I'm guessing that the motor runs cooler and more efficiently when it's
got the armature field weakened, but I'm remarkably uneducated
concerning electric motor control (and I know you guys aren't) so
please tell me if I'm being stupid.

If I'm in D1 cruise it's a little fast for good mowing speed.  D1 on
the foot pedal is WAY too fast.  L with cruise is too slow for me, and
L with the foot pedal all the way down is just right (said
Goldilocks).

But my size eleven gunboats are kind of large for the I-5's foot
pedal, and the spring seems awfully stiff.  If I ride in
cruise-control, I won't get the most efficient battery use or the best
speed, but I have trouble maintaining constant pressure on the pedal
for an hour while I mow the open part of the field.

What do you guys think?  Has anybody else had difficulty with this, or
am I just dealing with an unusually stiff spring?

--Charlie