Re: (ET) Mowing

On 12 May 2012 at 3:43, paulsouc ymail com wrote:

> It does cut short very well at low speeds though too short for my
> grass.

It's been a long time since I cut grass with the front mount deck - mostly
use my New Idea R36 for mowing now - but that's my observation too.  I
can't
get it to cut my grass as long as I would like.  I consider it too short
even with the deck at its highest setting.

I think this is because 40 years ago, when these machines were designed,
people mostly cut their grass shorter than we do today.  I could be wrong.

I notice that my electric push mower, which has something of an aero
blade,
not flat like the ET's, does a better job of drawing up the grass for
cutting - though it works best for this on the shorter cutting settings.
However, it draws 9.5 amps from a 36v battery - 340 watts! - just
spinning,
not even cutting anything.  I wonder how much more energy those "gator"
blades would use, compared to the originals, and whether you'd be risking
motor overheating with them.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA