Re: (ET) Mowing

In general, the Elec-Trak may not give as perfect of a cut as "modern" lawn care standards many now expect (ie perfectly smooth green mono-crop), especially while making tight turns. Once upon a time the goal was to simply keep a nice diverse mix of fescues, clover, etc. cut to a reasonably equal height. On the other hand, it can take down 2'-3' tall grass & weeds without blinking :-)

I've sent Paul other info off-list but the basics: make sure the blades are sharp, installed the right way up, and the motors are all wired so they spin in the correct direction (CCW when viewed from the bottom). Nothing like trying to cut grass with the wrong edge of the blade. And yes, I've seen some wired wrong. Then make sure the deck isn't bent: stand it up on edge so you can see that all the motors are parallel to each other. You want to check that the blades are all in the same plane; I find it easier to visually see that the axis of the motors are all the same. Then check that the cutting height is the same at all four corners (2 casters and 2 ends of the rollers). Also check that the rollers aren't worn badly: 2-1/2" diameter when new, so ideally still over 2" and not tapered at the ends. With the deck unplugged and tilted up, try spinning the blades. All three should turn easily and smoothly, without evil noises. Turning one by hand pretty fast should make the other two turn a little bit as well. Watch the centers and make sure they don't wobble - this could mean a bent shaft which means the ends of the blades will vary in height as it goes around.

When mowing, I mostly use D1; I find D2 too fast. I use L if on steep slope and/or intricate area. Rear discharge is better for tall grass, if using side discharge the clippings from the far side have to all pass by the one blade by the chute so it gets overloaded. With tall grass go forward over it than back up over the same area. For really tall grass, may need to raise the deck up with the lift for the first pass. By this I mean 3' tall or so. If regularly mowing a suburbia lawn, side discharge may give a slightly nicer cut as scatters the clipping better, but rear discharge should be fine if mow frequently so not taking off more than 1/3 the length (also recommended for health of the grass to not stress it too much).

___
Jim Coate
540-941-1005
Free Range Electric, LLC