Re: (ET) Replacing Front Mower Deck Caster

When I was renewing the old GE deck, I used a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder, then replaced the hardware with new.  Be sure to use nuts with a locking insert AND loctite to keep them from vibrating off during the next 30 years.

David Brandt

From: john rieffel <rieffelj union edu>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:30 AM
Subject: (ET) Replacing Front Mower Deck Caster

One of the front caster brackets of the front-mount mower deck on my
E-15 is damaged - the seam which joins the tubular section to the
bracket itself has come partially unwelded.

I have a second deck with intact casters and brackets, and I was
thinking I could just move the bracket assembly between mower decks.
In a sense this looks easy, but naturally 30 years of grass clippings
have rusted all of the bolts beyond hope.  Attempts at using an impact
driver on the bolt head and vice grips on the nut risk stripping the
nut.  What's my best bet for removing these bolts -- chiseling and
breaking them?  Drilling the heads off?  Heating up the bolts and
trying to turn the nuts?

Regards,
jr