(ET) Pressure washer odd fail and thoughts....

So this morning I went to the shed, got my Elec-trak pressure washer, and rolled it over to the cars. Hooked it up, plugged it into the E15's mower port, fired it up and...

Nothing.

At first I thought the PTO was mis-wired on the Elec-trak but sure enough it's fine. Then I found that the new 36 volt contactor on the pressure washer wasn't working; it had 36 volts across the coil but was not pulling in.

So I pulled it and replaced it with an old contactor I had. Worked perfectly, washer came up, and I happily washed 4 cars on a single string of BB600's at mostly full charge.

I wonder what went wrong with the contactor; maybe I'll pull it apart and take a look.

In the meantime I love having the pressure washer; this was a project last year where I took the 5hp gas engine off a 1500 PSI Gentech washer, and replaced it with an E12 shunt wound motor. Shaft fit right in, just needed to build a mounting platform. I set it up with a local switch for control that turns on and off a contactor.

It really works. And it really pulls a fair bit of power; but the E12 motor handles it well. Since it's a shunt wound it tried to maintain a constant speed, which makes for a very even pressure at the wand.

I like it.

Chris