(ET) Tiller lift rebuilt

Well, I opened my box from Harold (thank you, check went out today) and sat down to replace the lift strap on my rear lift. This is harder than it sounds....

Basically I had to take the lift completely apart. Remove the bottom cover, the motor cover, the motor, then you're at the shaft with the main gear. This has to come out too, so what I did was this:

1) Cut off the old belt.
2) Remove the old staple.
3) Loosen the set screw on the gauge collar.
4) Drive out the axle from the gear with a hammer
5) Remove the gear, then axle and bushings
6) Put the new belt on. Do not put in the staple
7) Put the axle in again. Don't forget the bushing
8) Tap it through the gear, watching for the woodruff key
9) Remember you forgot one of the two washers. Drive off, drop key, put washer on, repeat 8.
10) Put drive gear bushing in
11) Now put the staple in, fold over.
12) Adjust and tighten the gauge collar
13) Oil everything
14) Put in the motor and motor lid. Test
15) Put on the bottom cover

While I had the motor out I checked it. It was running slow on 12v so I took off the big gear. The grease was kind of thick, so I sprayed in a bit of penetrating oil, followed by a bit of 3 in 1 oil. Motor loosened up and runs much faster with less drag.

Now it's back on the tractor and can lift the tiller. Note that drag in the motor and on the motor gear will directly reduce lift power, so make sure that's properly lubricated.

Back to work here.
Chris