Re: (ET) Best site for showing ET pictures & inviting comment

Regarding traction...I have used tire chains in addition to my usual ag tires while pushing dirt.  It made a tremendous difference.  I was very happy with the results and highly recommend them.  I have an extra set of rear wheels/tires with chains on them.  It makes swapping from "no chains" to "chains" a breeze.  5 lugs are much easier than wrestling with tire chains!

My most recent dirt-moving was backfilling a 165' trench from running power to a shed.  I angled the blade and drove along the side of the trench.  It was much easier to backfill than it was to dig...even with a gas-powered trencher.  I think my property was built on a rock quarry!

Billy

From: Mike Finck <M Finck setterlin com>
To: "noaddress drmm net" <noaddress drmm net>; "elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) ET) Best site for showing ET pictures & inviting comment

I have moved quite a bit of dirt grading and backfilling around a new garage, hauling excess and grading that down by the creek.  Power is not an issue.  Traction is (a limited slip dif would be great).  Another problem I overcame is the (safety) design built into the blade to tip when it strikes an immovable object.  Unfortunately the springs are so weak that just about anything "tips" the blade.  I threw safety to the wind and rigidly affixed the blade so it will not tip.  I should add that I did allow for a catastrophic occurrence with a shear pin, say 9 miles an hour and hit a raised man hole cover or something.