Re: (ET) Spam

Agree with the other David.  I've had it happen, now I regularly change passwords, and use the guidelines from work - at least 8 characters, one of which must be a special character (!@#$%^&*()_+=-, etc.), one a number, one a capital, and one a lower case.  And don't use the same one for all your accounts (yahoo, amazon, bank, google, etc.)!

It keeps the hackers away, and if they get one account they at least won't get the others.

David Brandt

From: David Roden <etpost drmm net>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Spam

This is off topic, of course, but perhaps worth mentioning since it affects
list operation and business.

I manage a few other mailing lists and I'm seeing a rapid increase in this
problem.  Hotmail and Yahoo accounts seem to be most frequently cracked, but
that may be because of their sheer numbers.

The problem seems to be that spammers hammer the account until they guess
the password.  I have a Yahoo account and have never had it cracked, touch
wood, maybe because I use a password that isn't in the dictionary and has
extra weird characters in it.  (Or maybe it's just that I'm an extra weird
character. ;-)

So, I suggest changing your password to something that is not a name, and
not a real word.  Include one or more funny characters if you can.  Note
that the spammers compensate for the kids' cute misspellings (3 for E, @ for
A and so on) so those won't work.  Be creative and you should be safe.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send