Re: (ET) How often to charge large frame tractors sitting idle?

On 1/19/12 7:23 PM, John J Casey wrote:
> ... I set the on-board charger for a full cycle no more than once
> per month; got this from Gunn.

The bad news is that if batteries are fully discharged (ie "empty") then they can freeze in cold weather - the electrolyte is basically water.

The good news is as long as they are fully charged before storage, they won't freeze as the electrolyte is much more acidic with a low freezing point (like minus 20 or so). And the cold slows down the self-discharge rate.

So I'd run a charge cycle once or twice over the winter, similar to what Jack said.

___
Jim Coate
www.ElectricTractorStore.com