Re: (ET) possible 36 volt lift motor mod?

On 12/1/2011 10:14 PM, John Jeno wrote:
Just to update you all on my test lift motor. I have been running the
standard GE lift motor (Chevy 1973 driver door window motor) on 36 volts
for 4 years. I use a mower deck in summer and a snow thrower in winter.
No helper springs. Still going strong. And no unequal battery pack worries.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder if running the motor at full 36v is a problem. It's a series motor, so as the armature current strengthens the field will strengthen as well. So it might not be an issue.

My one concern would be the overload circuit in the motor. At 18 volts it will pit a bit; at 36 volts I would expect a serious arc-over. If you boost the motor to 36v, what do you do with the fusing to keep the max current below trip levels?

Maybe reduce the 30a fuse to a 20a or 15a one? I'm going to try this myself; I have a boat-load of taken-apart motors here.

Chris