Re: (ET) Motor puzzler and Alltrax

Steve,
   A Monday morning brain teaser....
- DC motors develop torque by having field current (flux) and armature
amps.
   The field has the leverage.
- Loss of field causes over speeding.... less/no flux to limit armature
rpm.

  Field resistance is approximately 17 ohms.

  Your symptoms indicate a field issue - high amp draw, chugging and then
overspeed....
Suggestions:
- measure resistance between shunt field and armature
    (it should be high - megohms with good insulation)
- measure resistance between either shunt field wire and ground
    (it should also be high and not grounded)  You could have a ground in
the field.
- measure voltage across the motor when you energize it - 12, 24, 36 volts
during stepping.
- also measure field current (if you have a clamp on meter) to see if it
is changing.

  If all of these checks are good, you might want to take the motor apart
(or take it to a small service shop) to look at the brushes and commutator
and inspect the windings.  The brushes may be worn out and making poor
contact.  Clean slots, sandpaper commutator, and blow out thoroughly and
check insulation again.  An armature "intermittent" short is never for
long - it will blow a hole somewhere.

  It's probably not a good idea to connect up the Alltrax unit until you
make sure the motor is good.  That won't fix this problem.

...Walt