Re: (ET) Frame Question

I acquired and I-5 frame in the same shape.  It was bent from a loader though.  It had an arch before and after the foot rests.  It appeared to be overloaded on the front and the back.  The foot rests reinforced the frame and kept it from bending in that location.  You could see a very small wrinkle in the bottom lip of the frame right before and after the foot rests.  Every other frame I've seen has been straight as an arrow.  I would assume they are supposed to be straight.  It would allow the square body panels and parts line up better.  That's just what I've seen though.  I wouldn't call myself and expert on the frames by any means.  Does anyone have a more experienced answer?

Billy
From: Robert Troll <roberttroll hotmail com>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:49 AM
Subject: (ET) Frame Question

Working on the I5 i recently acquired. Got it down to the frame and i am about to start welding in some new steel and reinforcement.

Looking at the frame on sawhorses it appears to have a crown to it. Not something caused by damage. Looks like the frame was manufactured that way with a slight arch. I am guessing for strength maybe? Has anyone noticed this or know anything about how the frames were manufactured? It is my understanding that they were rolled from sheet steel.

Thinking/hoping that the transmission mounting tabs are angled to compensate for this "arch" in the frame....