Re: (ET) Fw: GE Elec Trak

On 6/23/2011 6:59 PM, David Durso wrote:

Good Day,
I recently joined this site. I'm in the process of restoring an Elec
Trak E-15 and I would like to ask some of you for help.
The tractor isn't running and my plans are to:
Replace the 6 batteries -can you advise which types to use.

T105 batteries. Get them from Sam's club.

Replace the controller (Electric Tractor Store has that contactor and
pot box for about $558.00) is this worth the money?

No, not yet. Drive the tractor for a bit, then make a decision on upgrading the controller. I like the stock one; it could be that the diodes are just shot on card 1.

Charge it off my solar system which is two 24 Volt 180 watt 5.5 amp
panels which I'll wire into a 48 volt unit.

Can you get 36 volts? Then you could just attach to the battery and be done with it. Get a blocking diode rated at 5 amps and a fuse.

I need a converter that goes from 48 volts to 36 volt. Heard that a
Solarex SC18 charger would work; However, I can't find any on eBay and
thelastplaceyoulooked.com <http://looked.com/> website doesn't work.
Any advice and cost/time savingsyou can give is appreciated.

That would be my site you got that from. Aw. Seriously the SC18 comes around from time to time, but you could just wire the panels directly as long as you kept the batteries watered and the current low. Or you could get an Outback MPPT controller and program it for 36v output.

Have fun. I really need to get that battery box now that I think about it....