Re: (ET) Pulling the motor bearings

Oh yeah - almost forgot...

Any discussion of dismantling mower motors deserves a warning about pulling the blade hub.  When you look at the hub, you see a seemingly shaft-size circle around the screw hole.  It is not the shaft!  The blade hub is made of two pieces - a sleeve that fits over the shaft and a flange staked to the sleeve.  The sleeve is closed on the flange end, with a clearance hole to allow the screw to go through and engage the threads in the shaft.

You need to thread a screw part way into the shaft.  The puller pushes against the screw head.  This is another reason you should plan on using a split puller, since it's the only thing that will fit between the sleeve end and the motor housing.  If you pull on the flange with a two- or three-legged puller you're begging to pull the flange off the sleeve, which destroys it.

Chris