 I have found a pair of wires coming from the Brush End, ( temperature
sensor?)
and 4 wires coming from the "field" hole. They are
#2502 (>-36?)
#5 (?)
#2201, (F1?) >SEAT SWITCH
#62 (red)  (F2?) >VDA
when I tentatively connected 12V to armature leads, I got quite a spark and
no reaction
Since my intent is to use this either on the snow thrower or as replacement
for an ICE on a JD 34" rider, I won't have the VDA and maybe nothing but a
contactor "ON/OFF switch"
 Reversing is not necessary.

What I did
I used a 12V battery on the armature and a 12 V charger on the field wires.
OK, I will connect +12 to F1; -12 to F2   and see what sparks. If rotation
is wrong I will reverse the F1 & F2 connections
Of course +12 will also go to the red cable to armature

Can I leave the two wires from field and the  2 from brush end taped
(unconnected) for permanent operation on 36 VDC.
 Do I run the field in series with the armature?