Re: (ET) NiMH batteries (OT)

Hello Jim

I am also a member of this list. The packs are NiMH cells but they are a totally different animal. As David pointed out these cells are intended for high energy use in and out. They were not engineered to be a deep cycle cell. If you try to deep cycle them they will very quickly be destroyed. As an example it would be like using a lead acid starting battery in place of a deep cycle battery. Both are lead acid batteries but they were engineered to be used under different conditions.

You would need to vastly over size the pack to be able to handle sustained heavy amp loads. You could still not go below 50 percent DOD or charge over 80 percent SOC for long cycle life. Going above or below these percentages will create heat and NiMH cells if heated will quickly be damaged. They will if over heated lose capacity and become a fire hazard.

The Prius cells don't make any sense in an EV as the energy density is about the same a lead acid when sized correctly. I would assume these Ovonic cells would be very similar to the Prius NiMH cells. In a tractor weight is not an issue but you would still need to make a very large pack. If you did this and kept the SOC between 50 to 80 percent they actually would last a very long time. The problem is keeping them in balance so cells don't stray out of the 50 to 80 percent range. This would require a very good BMS and temperatures would need to be controlled. They need to be charged in series and cell balancing would require a very sophisticated system.

I talked to Ovonic around four years ago. At that time they have zero interest in any fully electric vehicles. We had a long talk he was a nice guy but the company was only looking at Hybrids. If your a large manufacturer looking to build hybrids they are more then happy to work with you. They would not even provide replacements for the OEM electric vehicles that had their modules. I can guarantee Ovonic will not provide you any help.

Others have tried in an EV using as many as five packs of the Prius cells and after destroying several packs of the five gave up. I wish anyone trying to use these the best of luck.

Don Blazer