Re: (ET) Front mount mower mowing pattern

I have found the most difficult part of mowing with an ET is trying to trim around the flower beds, etc.  If you track the bed edge with the edge of the mower, its easy to end up with a wheel in the flower bed.  Its also difficult to mow close to trees.  I'll confess to using an electric trimmer or a push mower to go the trimming some of the time.

As pointed out in another post, you can cut forwards and backwards.  In fact, I think my ET does a better job mowing backwards, and by mowing just past a tree or other edge and then backing with the front wheels turned a bit, its possible to get a closer cut around things without getting a wheel in the wife's flower bed.

However, the stock ET mower (or the ones I have used) will rip up the turf with the rear roller axle support bracket if turned while backing up on an uneven surface..  I was able to find a solution from a person on this list who made up a "kit" of modern plastic round ball shaped wheels and axles that install easily and result in the mower have rear casters.  This allows for backwards mowing with no chance of the rear roller support brackets acting as a plow.  I am sorry I can't find the name in my files, but perhaps the archives of this list have a reference to these rollers.

And forget the Zamboni analogy!  That's a farmer techniques used as long as there have been tractors.  Mentally divide the rectangle to be mowed in 1/2 lengthwise.  Cut down the middle, continue to either side (assuming you can make the turn), cut back along the edge.  Turn and cut to the next strip beyond the middle and continue.  This technique will keep the turn radius the same as you "walk" the pattern across the lawn area.

I have found the ET mower to be a poor performer in sharp corners in terms of cutting - it seems to leave a long of standing grass on sharp corners.  Using a cutting pattern that allows wide radius corners will help solve this problem.  Also I use quite a bit of overlap - maybe as much as 1/3 of the mower chassis overlapping the last strip cut.  My mower is set up as a rear discharge, and I often tow a 36" lawn sweeper behind it to pick up clippings.  So backing up is a poor strategy many times.

I find the mower works well only if the batteries are pretty well charged.  Any reduction in blade speed shows up as a poor cutting job.

Finally, I tend to go slow on cuts.  I use 2nd gear on maximum throttle (field weakening engaged on an E-15) or 3rd gear "direct drive" (the throttle position that does not use resistors or field weakening).  On hilly areas I prefer to use full throttle in a lower gear range (2nd) to keep the drive motor draw on old batteries down, allowing better blade speed.

I do find, however, that the ET does a pretty good job of mowing, and as long as I have good mower motors, I'll continue to use it.

Hope the tips are helpful.