(ET) Odd E-15 problem

We've got an E-15, powered by a double string of BB600 NiCads, and it has developed an odd problem. When I try to run it (speed 1, gearshift in neutral) the motor pulses at about 5 times a second and the current draw is very large - almost to the top of the yellow zone. My first thought was no field current, but I get full battery voltage at the field relay contacts, and if I disconnect the power and measure the field resistance from there, I get 16 ohms, which seems reasonable.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder