Re: (ET) Triage - ideas from an unexpected result

Good thought, David! That would explain near-zero resistance field windings, and if the brushes are old and the commutator is scratchy (both true) then maybe I wouId get artificially high armature resistance readings. I like it, and I'll find out.

BTW, if it is a series motor, then I will be surprised on at least one count: I made the motor turn by wiring it up as if it were series and it didn't work, and I wired it up as shunt and it did, but at low-ish voltage (12v or 24v, I can't remember) back when it arrived at my house.

Those of you with more experience might already know how this will turn out... (if, for instance, it is simply impossible for a series motor to turn if wired up with field and armature in parallel) but I don't!

I'll report back after I do a little more homework,

Thanks for all of your thoughts, yous guys,

-M