Re: (ET) Triage - ideas from an unexpected result

Hi, Walter, hi all,

Thanks for the note, and the sympathy on the dryer incident. I was the test subject... like a chimpanzee in the space program.

So, yes, right with you about the limitations of the DMM. But let me be clear about the basis of my confusion: I measured an almost-zero resistance for the FIELD windings. And I measured the ARMATURE resistance to be *NOT* near zero.

Bench test: I have made this motor run by applying voltage to the armature and field in parallel, and it spun. (Yes, normally one would have given the field full voltage and ramped up the armature, but it was just a test.) It was when I was getting ready to wire it up conventionally (full field, ramp up the armature) that I took these measurements and got the reverse of what I am used to seeing.

AFAIK, this motor is from a big ol' Caterpillar forklift.

There are no "S" terminals on this thing, so I don't think I've got a compound motor here... but maybe it's some unusual variation in the compound motor family.

I think I should take measurements between A and F terminals to see if there's buried compound series-motor connections within.

-M