Re: (ET) controller

I am here to tell you the answer is simply and emphatically YES.

I have an E15 w/a Curtis 36V golf car controller in it. When you step on the "go" pedal (it's an E-15, but I put a pedal on) a microswitch closes which energizes two contactors' coils. When the contactors close, they energize the field windings (full 36v across the windings) and energize the controller. Further motion of the pedal turns a 5k pot (a very familiar set-up to those of you who have messed with Curtis controllers, not to mention others) which increases the current from the controller through the armature. Off you go!

A simple DPDT allows reverse (an h-bridge for reversing the field winding current). I plowed with that set-up for two winters... worked great. Buttery smooth! Just not much of a top speed w/o the field weakening.

I have NOT put field weakening on that set-up, but it would be easy enough to do using relays and an original resistor card.

Note that sometimes you can find Curtis 36v Sep-Ex controllers on ebay for short money... I have one that I intend to put in another E15 whose original control system was badly damaged. Got it for $79 last year... looking forward to trying it out.

Oh, speaking of which: http://cgi.ebay.com/4-CURTIS-PMC-SepEX-DC-MOTOR-CONTROL-24-36-VOLTS-400-AMP-/110642253704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2cacf88

Best to all,

-Max