Re: (ET) Lithiums in an E15

On 4 Nov 2010 at 13:51, Charlie wrote:

>  guess you'd want to rewire them as parallel rather than series
> strings, though; the Prius runs high voltage.

NiMH isn't really a very practical choice for an application requiring
more
than about 10ah of capacity, because they're deliberately not made in
larger
capacities than that.  (Actually I think the limit by Cobasys license
terms
is 25ah, but any size larger than 10ah is pretty hard to find.)

Thus practical EV or ET capacities require paralleling strings.  This is a
problem.

NiMH batteries can be discharged fairly stably in parallel, but they don't
play nice when charged in parallel.  You need a separate charger for each
string.  You also need contactors to separate the strings for charging and
connect them for running.  Both of these add complexity and expense.

You might gain some cycle life and get longer runtime in cold weather, but
at quite a substantial cost.  And you lighten a tractor that you want to
be
heavy!  I don't think it's worth it, but I suppose others might.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA