(ET) "fuel" gauge + disconnect

OK so i just wired in a new master disconnect, and fusible link on my E15. PO had removed the disconnect and tied all four wires together. Not the best thing in the world especially considering there was considerable evidence of melting. Anyhow. When i reattached all the wires i did not connect the smallest one, which i believe goes to the on board charger? I did this because i bought a modern 3 stage charger and plan on completely removing the old one. I went to fire everything up and all circuits are go, except for the fuel gauge. Needle wont move from empty even though the batteries are fully charged. Does the wire i left out need to be connected for the gauge to work?

David