(ET) E15-Think I know how I can fix the frame.

In the continuing saga on how to fix my rusted out E15 clunker, I have been trying to identify a way that I could replace one of the rear transmission mount points. It was completely rotted.

I put 1 inch angle iron on the inside to hold up the rear deck. But what to do about the mount? Well now I have a solution that might work and INVOLVES WELDING!

Because I am getting to love welding. It's like crazy glue for steel; you touch two things together, hit it with the E20 welder on medium power and presto: They are stuck together. And hot as hell, but that's another story. Why just today I was trying to get a bolt off my old deck's mower shock mount. The mount had torn off the deck, and although the bolt head had completely disintegrated on the bottom of the deck, it was still spinning so I couldn't get the nut on top loose. Vice grips were never going to work. But a few taps with the welder and bolt+steel became one. Then it was trivial to get the nut off.

Anyway, the key was suggested by a member: I can't use 1.5 angle iron on the back because it hits the tires. But that's because the tires are mounted inbound. If I switch them and mount them outbound the angle iron will fit with space to spare!

Then I can weld the remaining 1 inch angle iron between the outside and inside iron, making a box of solid IRON. Not only will it never flex, but it will never spread, and I should be able to haul trains with this frame.

I'll try welding next weekend. The only big problem is that the back battery box will have to be modified, but I think I can live with that...

Chris