Re: (ET) Tractor repair: motor on deck is overheating.wheel horse C-185

DAC8851 aol com wrote:
Hello I have a wheelhorse c-185.The motor on the deck is overheating and the thermo switch turns it off. The housing is hotter than the other motor. I have 2 motors doing this. It is the 4 1/2 dia motor. I tried pulling the blade adapter off the motor shaft but it is stuck. I am soaking this with wd 40. I hope this just pulls off. or is there a trick getting it off? I was pulling hard with a puller but it would not move. I will try again later. I do not have a lot of time to work on this so it will be a slow process. When I open the motor up what should I be looking for? Will the brushes or bearing cause this? Dave

Bearings are the most likely cause, and the easiest fix. But of course any repair requires getting the blade adapter off. You need to use a 3-jaw puller or a 2-jaw puller with a bearing splitter or a press. It is imperative to pull on the bottom edge of the adapter (edge nearest the motor housing) and not on the flange - the flange will just bend and/or break off. When using a puller, first put the blade screw back in the threaded hole in the motor shaft. You don't want the forcing screw of the puller to damage the threads inside the motor shaft.

Ideally just a little pulling will get it done. However... soaking 24 hours ahead with penetrating oil is good. Heating the adapter body with a small torch may help - the trick is to heat the body quickly so it expands a little before the motor shaft inside starts to get hot and also expand. If you have the puller all set up with some pressure applied then heat, it may 'pop' when it breaks free. Heat cycle(s) may cook the grease in the lower bearing, but... you need to replace the bearings anyways.

I'll send you info on replacement bearings & brushes etc off-line.

--
Jim Coate
Waynesboro, VA

NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/