Re: (ET) another Alltrax related question

On 2 Jul 2010 at 13:16, Jerry Rhodes wrote:

>  the PB -6 has the start swt installed which you will need ...

Have the Alltrax controllers changed?  It's been several years, but mine
didn't need any kind of start switch.  I did need a separate reverse
switch,
however.

For my "throttle" I used a leftover Solectria potbox, but removed the pot
and made a bracket and dash plate for it, so the lever stuck out through a
dash slot.  Added a bit of rubber tubing as a handle, and voila.  I'm sure
you could do something similar with a Curtis potbox.

The only problem is that the pot moves too easily.  I'd like it to have
some
friction to keep it in place more solidly.

Another possibility might be a slide pot meant for a 70s vintage stereo
receiver.  Be careful though - something like that might not stand up to
the
heavier usage.  When pots get dirty and noisy, the effect on drivability
isn't good.

I've also been wondering about the faders used in audio consoles, but the
good ones are far from cheap.

I've been looking at a couple of products from Suzo-Happ in Chicago, which
makes controls for arcade games.  They have a robust-looking, weatherproof
metal-housed pedal, and a couple of lever type "throttles" which might do
the job.  Prices are in the $60-90 range, and I'd expect that a device
meant
for arcade use would be pretty long-lived.

Their website seems to be down right now, but here are a couple of their
items being offered by a third party on Ebay (at about the same prices
that
I recall).  The numbers are Ebay item numbers; go to the Ebay homepage and
enter these in the search box.

Turbo throttle 320456669695

Modular pedal 320456220964

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA