Re: (ET) another Alltrax related question

Hi Jim, you can use a 5k pot BUT you will need to turn it about 320 degs to get the 0 - 5k, I have used 20k pots and only need to turn it about 90 degs ( that is what a PB-6 is) and the PB -6 has the start swt installed which you will need, good luck

Jerry NW Ohio

----- Original Message ----- From: "jim" <jiminwis yahoo com>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 11:16 AM
Subject: (ET) another Alltrax related question

Hello
Still working on getting the Alltrax installed, haven't been able to spend much time with it. But a question did come up. Why use a PB-6 or similar pot box, and why not use a 5k potentiometer instead? The spring return on the potbox is not an advantage for an Elec-trak, and a potentiometer could be a lot cheaper. What wattage would be needed? I would think 2 watt or even less might be enough. Any reason not to use a potentiometer instead of a potbox?

Thanks for the ideas that a few people already sent, and thanks in advance for an suggestions now.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI