Re: (ET) ER8-36 transmission oil

Like Jerry said, you can buy "open chain lube" in aerosol cans that is very
tacky and therefore sticks to the chain quite well.  A motorcycle shop
would
also be a good place to look for something like that.

The differential used on the 36" riders like the NI R-36, the GE ER8-36 and
the WH A-65 was a 100 Series unit from Peerless, and it too was just filled
with grease.  Peerless had a special Bentonite grease they recommend for
use
in either the 700 Series transmission or the 100 Series diff found on these
great little riders.  It's supposedly great for high temperatures and where
water might get into the units.  And that's a possibility on either the
transmission or the diff.  Neither the transmission nor the diff are sealed
(as in oil/grease seals around openings like shafts and shifter levers), so
that's why a "waterproof" grease is used instead of something like a
regular
oil based gear lube.  A conventional gear oil, like say 90W, would run out
of all those places about as fast as you could pour it in, even if there
were a place to pour it in.

A conventional gear oil is used in the transaxles of all other models of
our
ET's, whether it be the small frame E8/E10 or the large frame E12's and up,
but they all have seals around any shaft going into or out of the
transaxle.

But again to sum it all up, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mike in KY