Re: (ET) Power of Elec-trak motors?

Marcus wrote:
These ratings are correct if they came from GE. You won't be able to check by reading the amps. Remember an electric motor can put out far above it's "rated" capacity but not for long. It's all about heat. A motor's continuous rating is the output it can safely sustain without overheating. Some motors are rated "intermittent" with a certain duty cycle and some "continuous" Many scooter motors especially from China are vastly over rated. A real 1 hp continuous permanent magnet motor should be about 14" x 5.5" and weigh a ton. The E12 has a motor about this size. A wound motor of the same rating will have a larger diameter. (E 15)

Ok. Well, I just hopped in the E20 this afternoon and drove across my front lawn in speed 4, gear L, deck on the mower, deck motors *off*.

Current draw on my two strings of BB600's was 15a and 25a. Voltage was right around 36v.

So it appears that *my* E20 takes 40a to drive along doing nothing else (overcoming friction, gear resistance, and moving it's arguably lighter self). Now my E20 is lighter than most, each BB600 cell weighs 3.2 pounds so 90 of them weigh only 288lbs. By comparison a Trojan T105 weighs in at 61 pounds, so six of them weigh 366 pounds.

Given that, the question is what is the motor efficiency under normal load? If it was 100% then the motor is taking in 1.88hp just to move the tractor. I would think that GE would consider "drive the tractor on level ground" to be the absolute minimum so the motor should be a bit bigger than 1hp.

I guess one could test by putting the motor on a bench, attaching it to some sort of constant load, and driving it till it got above normal operating temps. Then write down the amount of current it is taking and you have the HP ratings.

Do some good research before deciding on a motor and avoid letting the smoke out of your first attempt. There are threads about converting a gas mower on ecomodder.com and examples at EV discussion forums if you do a search.

Absolutely. Experience seems to show that a good golf-cart motor should be enough to run a normal tractor+blades. So put one in and see how it works.

Chris