(ET) Power of Elec-trak motors?

These ratings are correct if they came from GE. You won't be able to check by reading the amps. Remember an electric motor can put out far above it's "rated" capacity but not for long. It's all about heat. A motor's continuous rating is the output it can safely sustain without overheating. Some motors are rated "intermittent" with a certain duty cycle and some "continuous" Many scooter motors especially from China are vastly over rated. A real 1 hp continuous permanent magnet motor should be about 14" x 5.5" and weigh a ton. The E12 has a motor about this size. A wound motor of the same rating will have a larger diameter. (E 15)

Do some good research before deciding on a motor and avoid letting the smoke out of your first attempt. There are threads about converting a gas mower on ecomodder.com and examples at EV discussion forums if you do a search.

Marcus.

Mike Wallace wrote:
FWTW guys, performance curves and data that I obtained from GE in Ft. Wayne
many years ago indicated that an E15 drive motor was rated at 1 HP, an
E20/C-185 drive motor was rated at 1.2 HP, and the snow blower's motor was rated at 2.5 HP. Technically GE referred to these as being stabilized shunt
compound wound field motors.

Hm. Well how can we check this? One thing I have is the Link-20 which can tell me current being pulled from the batteries under load. Since my controller's efficiency is pretty close to 100% (contactors) any power going into the motor is becoming either heat or work energy.

What's the best way to load the E20 with a "standard" load? Drive it in D1 across a field? Up a 20 degree incline? Tow a car?

Chris