Re: (ET) Elec Trak Map

I'm not so sure. I had a non-operational Auranthetic electric motorcycle stolen from my driveway on the 2008 Thanksgiving weekend. I have heard reports of other items being stolen, and it doesn't take long to remove an Elec-Trak if you have a pickup truck or trailer, a winch and a couple of able bodies.

I sold an Elec-Trak within the last year on behalf of a friend who was no longer able to use it. It was sitting in a driveway of an occupied house (though they did not respond to the doorbell at the time) on a major city street. Without the key (because they did not answer at the door), and a tractor with dead batteries, three of us managed to roll it out onto the street and then up ramps onto a trailer, and tie it down properly in under 10 minutes - including signing a bill of sale and exchange of funds. I got an anxious call the next day about the tractor from the family of the former owner who had just realized the machine had disappeared.

These sorts of experiences make me wary, and that is why the tractor inventory I manage (or neglect) only shows owner initials and municipality - no names or addresses.

The map makes for a simple, intuitive, visual reference for those that might wish to make a local contact. In the past, when someone wants to make a connection, I forward their e-mail to the relevant tractor owner (based on the last e-mail address I have). If the owner wishes to respond, that is up to them, and I don't make second attempts.

BTW, I start a new employment contract today, so a flood of contact requests in the next 3 weeks will be ignored at my end.

Darryl McMahon

Krug ,Jeff A. wrote:
I tend to also be careful with the info that I send out.
But when it comes to a 1000 lb tractor that may have a resale value of
$700 maximum and a limited user group.
I figure most thieves are not willing  to risk getting shot to try and
steal it.
They are much more likely to steal the computer that my emails are sent
on.  Oh.... that would be the one at work or library.

Now if one was doing something as dastardly as, saving seeds from your
crops.
Then I would be careful not to let that information out.

What really interests me about local people who have elec-traks is that
usually have many other cool projects.

Signed
Anonymous