Re: (ET) Dielectric grease

On 12 Oct 2009 at 9:10, Chris Tromley wrote:

> I have no doubt the conductive greases are quality products, I'm just
> not sure
> they improve conductivity that much.

I remember a discussion of this kind years ago on the EVDL.  Several
people
who had different brands of this stuff each took a blob and stuck ohmmeter
probes in it.  IIRC, nobody measured any significant conductivity.  There
might have been one or two brands containing copper that had a little.

A very thin film may have resistance low enough to measure, but the real
utility of Noalox and its ilk is in preventing corrosion between
dissimilar
metals (specifically, copper and aluminum).  When you assemble those
metals
in a connection (as in using some brands of large lithium cells) this is
important.

With lead I'm not so sure.  I have to admit, though, that I've used
vaseline
on battery connections for many years.  It's mostly from habit, I guess.
My
father used to install auto batteries that way (and even flashlight
cells),
so I've done it that way for most of my life..

It seems to be like that "Arctic Silver" heatsink grease.  Adding silver
it sounds like somethng that should make it conduct more heat.  But I read
pretty carefully implemented test of it some years back.  In practical
use,
properly (sparingly) applied, good old white silicone heatsink grease
works
just about as well, for a lot less money.

If you really want great conductivity and corrosion resistance, use lead
or
lead plated battery jumpers and weld / lead-solder them right to the
battery
terminals.  I haven't had personal experience with it, but I'm told that
industrial batteries are sometimes done that way.  Probably 20 years ago,
an
EV conversion company (Soleq) built their cars that way, too.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA