Re: (ET) E-15 first mow! And questions (manuals, charging, fuel level, mowing)

On 7 Aug 2009 at 8:56, john rieffel wrote:

> I still haven't gotten a very satisfactory answer about charging.  How
> do I know when to stop?

Here are basic charging instructions for lead batteries :

http://www.evdl.org/pages/hartcharge.html

As that page makes clear, to do it right, you should monitor both voltage
and current while on charge.  Open-circuit (resting) voltage is a pretty
inaccurate means of measuring state of charge.

The main challenge with following this method is that there's no easy way
regulate the output of the GE charger.

There are quite a few people on this list who like Harry Landis's
controller
for making the GE into a more or less automatic charger.  With all due
respect for him, I'm not among them.  I'm pretty skeptical about the
unorthodox charge algorithim Mr Landis used in his design; I don't think
it's really suited to cyclic applications like the ET.  But his gadget is
relatively cheap, and it's probably better than nothing.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA