Re: (ET) Elec Reliability Poll

Been using an E-15 with updated electrics from a New Idea 150 since 1979. I used it year round; mowing, snow blowing and some blade work. About 5 years ago I found a nice E-16 so I have that one as my summer tractor and the E-15 set up for snow with the chains and cab left on.

Also have a few donor machines for parts but have rarely needed much, considering 30 years of use.

Bottom line is that they have been VERY reliable for me. Maybe just lucky. I don't know.

Here is what I recall having to be done over the years. I probably forgot some minor items and did not include mechanical items that are also on an ICE tractor; like sharpening or replacing blades, snowblower chain, or fixing mower mounts.

- Replace batteries every 5-7 years
- Mower motor bearings replaced about every 10 years.
- 3 mower motors replaced (with my spares) over time. 1 hit a large rock and bent the armature, 2 with electrical failures.
- 1 drive motor replaced (with a spare)
- Filed points on forward/reverse contact
- Replaced 2 master disconnects (bought new ones as the donors were bad)
- Installed Landis controllers to replace bad timers.
- Replaced the drive belts once on each machine.
- Add water to batteries every now and then.
- Replaced 1 noisy rear end (with a spare)
- Replaced 2 mower motor thermal protectors (again, from my spares)
- I think I had to replace one of the cards but I'm not sure. It may have been for an old I-5 project I have...

Anyway, I maybe spend a average of 1-2 hours per YEAR over what I would call "normal" maintenance and have limited electrical knowledge. Spending a few bucks on a donor machine is well worth it, if you have some space. If not gut it out, and throw the frame away. Install some new bearings in the motors, test them out by installing on you machine, and then you know you have the big ticket items on YOUR shelf, ready to go if something fails. If you never need it, don't worry, someone on the list will take it off your hands.

Good luck.
Dean