(ET) curtis - KSI input

Well, I am at the point in my restoration that I need to start wiring up a
controller board soon (if I ever get the hubs off the transaxle so I can
tear into it...are they welded on or what?  Removed set screws, applied
penetrating oil, applied heat liberally, tensioned with a gear puller, and
hit it with a hammer and it still won't budge - either side - but I
digress...)

A little background - I intend to power the field directly (with a
fwd/reverse relay and a field weakening relay), and to power the armature
using a curtis 1204 controller.  Very simple setup, and I believe some
others have done the same thing.

The Curtis manual states that the KSI input is used to turn the controller
on and off.  Does anyone have experience in doing that?  If so, I can use
this to disengage the controller for switching direction, etc. without
having to activate the controller contactor - something that would likely
burn up a small contactor like what we use and/or burn up a precharge
resistor and various other components if done too much.

Thanks!

David Brandt