Re: (ET) Ariens AMP Mower

Ken Olum wrote:
This is one thing that the Electric Ox got right.  AC drive, regular
"gas pedal" to control speed, electronic reverse, even regenerative
breaking.  Of course it cost a lot, and the company seems to have gone
into some kind of retooling and not come out of it, but they did not
make their own controllers, so someone else could do this with the
same electronics.

Agreed. Very nice. Also very expensive. Which would you rather have: A reasonable product that exists or a premium product that fails due to it's not being available? We have way too many of the latter, with more being "made" every day.

Perfect is the enemy of the good. I would like to see people selling good, simple lawn tractors. So why do you need electronic reverse, gas pedals (what tractor has a gas pedal?) and such? (Regen is a part of a shunt or PM motor anyway)

Really. The big design problem should be where to put the batteries for best weight distribution, not the discussion of AC vs. DC.

Chris