Re: (ET) charger problem

Wow - so many possibilities... two more things that have come to mind are if the replacement contactors are the correct voltage and if your field winding is getting power. But one item at a time:

Hot contactors & meter always in the red: I should have thought of this before... if the field winding is not getting power, the armature & compound windings will draw huge currents to move the tractor (which may seem underpowered/slow). I generally diagnose this just "by feel" (having experienced it before). To check with a meter, you need to measure the voltage from the diode/varistor card to the "-" on B5. The card is hard to get at, but look for the end of wire 6A (? what the drawing says) where it is soldered to the board or the lead of the varistor (black disk) may be the easiest thing to clip onto. At rest should see 0 volts; when in either forward or reverse should see ~36 volts (put the tranny in neutral while testing). Others may know easier ways to test this?

Batteries: Seeing ~38 volts across the pack means you are in the right ballpark and the batteries are now connected correctly. However... the one that was backwards for a while may have hidden damage. A load test would be good as already mentioned. If you don't have a load tester, then can figure a way to rig up your meter so you can watch the voltage of that battery while using the tractor. Actaully two tests, once for full pack voltage (should be 34-36 volts when in use, or maybe 32-33 volts if under a heavy load) and then again for the suspect battery (each battery should stay above 5.5 volts, even when in use).

Charger: If you measure the total pack voltage, it will start around 38 volts and as soon as you turn the charger on jump up a bit and continue to rise slowly over time. Near the end of the charge cycle (with the charger still *on*), should be up to 42-43 volts. If the charger shuts off before you come back to measure the final voltage, turn in back on and let it run for ~30 minutes to stabilize at the final voltage again.

Main disconnect: if this is failing, it may be hard to get it to turn on sometimes and/or it may generate a lot of waste heat. If get it out to where you can look at it, it has open sides so can visually inspect it. There is a big copper disc that gets pressed against copper studs. When on, they should be pressed tightly together, and should appear smooth without any pitting or pot marks. Without removing, rig up your meter to measure the voltage drop across the disconnect switch, from say the + of B2 to wire 2-02 on SO-2. Keep an eye on this while using the tractor - it should be in the millivolts even when under full load. If it is above say 0.5 volts that is definitely bad.

Contactors: As others have noted, not having the original style with the link pin is an accident waiting to happen. However, I don't think it would cause any of the problems you are seeing. Without the pn there is the potential for both contactors to close at the same time and make some nasty fireworks. Used ones could save you a little money versus the new-old-stock. I'm also wondering if the replacements you have might have 24 volt coils in the them. If so, they would run hot and eventually burn out in the 36 volt system.

This got long... good luck!

paul mitchell2007 comcast net wrote:
> If I had a bad main disconnect, would the tractor sometimes run and
> sometimes not?  How can I check if it's faulty?
I measured the voltage at SO-2 and got 38 volts. That's after having mowed for about a half hour. I'll charge it today while at work and measure it again at full charge.

--
Jim Coate
*The Electric Tractor Store*

NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/