From: "Jim Coate" <jbc_lists_NO_REPLY coate org>
To: "Elec-Trak" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:27:32 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: (ET) charger problem

Did you get a chance to check the individual battery voltages?

Either there was a typo in your previous list, or something is very
wrong with battery B2:
 > B5 to B6: 12.66v
 > B5 to B4: 18.98v
 > B5 to B3: 25.32v
 > B5 to B2: 31.66v
 > B5 to B1: 31.66v

The other numbers are about what I'd expect for 2, 3, 4 and 5 batteries.
But B5 to B2 should be all six batteries, for 36 volts (nominal) total.
Should see around 38 volts across all 6 given what the other 5 show.

If you have a bad battery, that could be making everything else work
harder and get hotter than usual. And taken to an extreme can make the
bad battery spew steaming acid. Yuck.

If the 6th battery is OK, then some really bad/corroded connections
somewhere? Or a bad main disconnect switch? Where were you measuring the
32 volts?

Once get the voltage up to where it belongs, then can worry about the
power use gauge being in the red... it may be fixed by getting the
proper system voltage, or may be the shut connections are bad, or maybe
the meter is off. But batteries/voltage first.

--
Jim Coate
*The Electric Tractor Store*