Re: (ET) Chris Zach: Shed for E20

Hey Chris,

I know out my way (Leesburg) there are sheds supposedly made by the Amish. Used to be a place in town that sold them - you may want to Google around and see. My neighbor has two and they seem pretty decent. Don't know if they are still around.

If I was building my storage over again I would think about making a small implement shed on the side of the real shed. Imagine a long 'shed' maybe 4 feet high and a maybe 3 foot deep - the plow, blower, mower, etc get parked side by side. Out of the weather, but not taking up valuable real shed space, and easy to get to.

- Steve

Christopher Zach wrote:
adrian zeffert charter net wrote:
Chris:

All comments made so far are valid. However you might also be limited by local ordinances for sheds larger than 10 X 10. Larger sheds might require extensive foundations, depends on the town permitting rules and the type of land you are on (ie watershed or farm land).

Hm. I think 10*10 is the way to go, I need enough room to store the sweeper as well. It's a sin to leave these outside or in that little tin shed.

Now as to what? I have one of the Suncast 7.5*7.5's that I use to store electrical stuff. It's actually pretty nice, waterproof, looks good. However I could never mount panels on the roof and well, it is plastic.

Wood sheds seem to be all over the place. Home Despot has them, but they're really cheap. What I really want is something built with 2*4's, 4*4's on the base, plywood roof with shingles on it. And held together with nails and not those gusset things that look like they will fall apart in the rain. Siding should be some sort of tongue and groove, not OSB.

Who makes a *good* shed kit? No, I can't build my own, I am not an engineer. :-)

As for my current shed, it's 16*12 but is not a drive-in shed. It's also over 100 years old oddly enough and is roofed with 1*12 planking then shingles (put on by me). It actually had a 60+ year old oak tree fall right on it in a hurricane; damage was limited to a slight knocking off square (fixed with cables then a brace) and minor damage to one edge of the roof. That's tough.

Chris

I recall that you already have a shed with PV cells on the roof. Any chance of being able to extend that shed?

Adrian