Re: (ET) Fully charged pack voltage

On 23 Apr 2009 at 13:34, Christopher Zach wrote:

> Not easy to do with T105's, easy with BB600s. But even then you're
> looking at 30 monitors which each will take power.....

Yeah, that's the rub, isn't it?  OTOH, you only really need them when
you're
running the vehicle, and then they're a trivial percentage of the energy
that it's using.  If you use them when you're charging ... well, the
energy
to run them comes from the mains.

And not all indicators take much energy.  About 20 years ago, I had 8
simple, low cost edgewise analog voltmeters (purchased surplus for
something
like a buck and a half each) connected to the batteries in my Comuta-car.
The current they used was negligable, so I just left them connected all
the
time.

Also, practically speaking, it's hard to sort out 30 or more little
indicators in front of you.  Now you start to get into something like a
microprocessor to monitor them for you.  You can really go overboard.
The
good news is that flooded lead batteries are pretty tolearant of
moderately
careless use.

PS - for those who don't know, BB600s are flooded NiCd aircraft cells.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA