Re: (ET) Bad luck? bad lot? bad owner?

Found this thread yesterday on this subject because I was confused about equalization and finishing voltage. Mentions US batteries.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/re-evdl-equalization-question-30541.html?t=30541&highlight=equalization

I just caught a cell imbalance in one of my batteries yesterday.  It caused my range to be cut in half because the weakest cell limits the whole bank. Weak cell was at 50% and others were at 80% by gravity.

Don't rely on voltage as your only method of checking the charge level. A stratified battery can give a false high voltage reading while being undercharged. If left for long this will cause the dreaded sulfation.

I have been concerned about undercharging too and now I know my chargers are all undercharging because I have started checking the gravity. It is pretty hard to overcharge lead acid but easy to undercharge if you are too timid.

Marcus Sabathil
Home: 604-947-0800  Mobile: 604-374-1969
Site Q-39, 720 Gardner Lane.  Bowen Island BC. V0N 1G0