Re: (ET) Motor trouble

Initial message:
  Our E-15 is running intermittently.  There seems to be voltage on the
two large motor connections when it's not running, so I figure the
problem must be in the motor.  Am I overlooking anything?  If not, I
will pull the motor and take it to the local motor shop.  Is there
anything I should tell them about these motors?

Try this:
- Transmission in Neutral
- Key off
- Check finger relays....sand clean and make sure each one contacts
properly.  Push up and down.
    FW and F/R relays....they stick.
- Check all circuit board connections.
- Key on
- Move lever from F to R.....finger relay should move and contact
properly.
- Move to first speed Forward....L should close, motor should start.  If
not, does it draw a lot of amps or intermittent?  If so, field is
suspect...relays or motor field.
- Check motor
    Check field - remove wires at motor - measure approx 17 ohms across
field......infinite or high ohms between one terminal to ground.
    Check armature - remove wires at motor - inspect connections if
loose or broken....measure across terminals - very low ohms...rotate
armature by hand and reading show remain same.  Measure between one
armature and one field lead for short - should be infinite or high ohms.

- Motor ok....
    L has to close, then 1A, then 2A which increases voltage across
armature in steps.
    FW relay decreases field volts which causes motor to run faster in
steps.

Me thinks finger relay is issue.....
...Walt