Re: (ET) Advice for tractor purchase

        The later E-15 tractors did away with the sand based hocus pocus and also employ the proven armature reversing contactor control.Expect the same reliability as the E-12 and E-12 M in this regard.

RJ

Pieter Litchfield wrote:
I have a bucket loader, but on a E-15.  I also have an E-12.  I believe the frames of both tractors are identical.  The motor on the E-15 is supposed to, according to the model designation, make the equivalent  power to a 15 hp gas engine while the E-12 is supposed to make 12 hp.

My E-15 is, to be polite, "quirky."  An attempt was made in that model to replace some mechanical power switching with solid state logic.  Too bad the mouse nest on mine rotted a few components.  But even when repaired, the tractor has a few logic problems.  In the case of the E-15, the whole control system could be replaced by a golf cart or EV controller  (like the Alltrax specific to the ET).  I believe, however, you may want to use one of the E-15 or other models that used field weakening as part of the motor power control system if you want to use a solid state controller.  I'll let the engineers in the group respond to that.  I would say that my E-12 seems to be more robust in terms of electric controls, but the E-15 seems a bit stronger and faster.  However, in both cases, I have driven gas powered garden tractors of both 12 and 15 HP which would easily outperform the ETs.  Might have something to do with dragging all those batteries up and down hills.