Re: (ET) A stark comparison

John J Casey wrote:
The batt box sides are likely weakened by rust. You can repair them by first scraping, treating rusty parts with POR-15 Metal-Prep or duPont 5717s, then paint with POR-15 silver. It stops rusting and strengthens the metal....no kidding. Then use metal reinforced BONDO to further strengthen the 90 degree bend. Prime and paint. The POR-15 seems impervious to acid, IMO. Before using the stuff, every year or so I'd find surface rust eating away at the frame under the rear batteries. Not any more.

*nod* POR15 is impressive. However I did notice today that after 5 years of blowing snow, ice, and some dirt/leaves that the throat of the blower actually has a small patch of POR15 WORN OFF. I'm amazed, I'll have to re-paint it in the spring.

The really nice thing about POR is that it is glass-smooth. The chute does not clog much, and when I did the tiller, dirt stopped sticking to the inside of the tiller assembly. When it does clog, the snow will slip right out.

But yes, I do need to drop the batteries and POR it. The rear box actually has 60 NiCD cells in there, so it's actually KOH base instead of acid. The front has a pair of totally dead T105's for ballast; I really SHOULD replace them with another set of 30 cells. However then the front is lighter. However maybe that's a good thing for steering and such. The real problem is the reduction of weight on the rear wheels.

Maybe I'll pull the T105's this week and just fit 30 BB600's; I think I have some POR15 around here...

Chris