Re: (ET) A stark comparison

Jeez - I was tempted to confess I have 2 ETs - 1 for mowing the lawn, and 1 with a bucket loader and chains for (among other things) snow removal, Why two?  Because its too much trouble to drop the quick change bucket and wheel chains!  But Dave's confession about two sets of wheels almost tops mine.

I have found the easiest way to put chains on (in the garage) is to lay them flat out on the floor, then drive over them.  With the tractor about 1/3 of the way onto the chains, it is possible to pull the front of the chains over the tires and fasten them at the back where there is more access.  Then a few bungee cords to take up any slack and you are ready.  I can do this in ten minutes.  But its still easier to buy a second ET.....

Happy Holidays,
Pieter

At 04:12 PM 12/13/2008, David Roden wrote:
On 13 Dec 2008 at 10:39, Max Hall wrote:

> the difference between putting tire chains on a wheel by itself (not on
> the vehicle) in a warm basement and putting tire chains on a wheel
> that's on a vehicle outdoors ...

I have two sets of rear wheels, one with chains, one without.  IMO it's less
trouble to jack up the tractor and put on the wheel with chains than to try
to apply a set of chains to a wheel that's already on the tractor -- and I
have a garage in which to work.

My hat's off to you for your fortitude.  If I had to put on chains in the
driveway in the slush and snow ... well, I might be tempted to give one of
the kids down the road a double sawbuck to shovel the driveway while I
watched from the dining room window.  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send