From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu [mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Paul Heinzerling
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:15 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) Golf Cart for Elec-Trak Uses

This is a response to several posts back:

I've converted an old Club Car 36V solenoid/resistor controlled golf cart for yard cart uses.  I can't speak to mowing uses, but I can talk about motor duty cycle.  I've added chains to the rear wheels, a dump bed on the back, and a heavy duty bumper from Club Car.  I put a 4+foot blade with electric lift on the front and weight in the bed and use it for plowing my driveway.  The series motor and controls are original.  It works fine, but with some caveats:  I don't think the motor is really designed for the heavy use to which I put it when plowing.  This is a lot of full-power work and in a half-hour or so will get the motor too hot to put your hand on, and will give that warm fuzzy "electrical hot" smell.  I just let it cool off and then continue on.  Also, the gearing is more designed for travelling than working.  That said, I've used it for eleven winters and it shows no signs of failing.

Other things to think about:  Golf Cart frames are usually aluminum and fairly chintzy.  The HD bumper I put on or some sort of reinforcement would be a necessity for any front attachment.  Also, I would think there might be problems keeping a constant ground speed when mowing.

Regards,
Paul Heinzerling
Hudson, OH